When you’re ready to start digital publishing, it can be challenging to choose a platform. Because there are quite a few options out there, we’ve put together a five-point guide to help you choose the digital publishing platform that’s right for you.
First, answer a few simple questions about your basic publishing needs. Next, consider the features that are important to achieving your goals. Then review the audience access that your publications will require and other key platform elements like languages. Finally, look at plans and prices to see which digital publishing platform is the best fit for you.
Let’s dig in!
1. Basic needs
Begin with some simple facts about the content you will be publishing online.
- How many documents will you want to publish?
- Which types of files will you need to upload?
- What size are your files?
- Will your online publications be for internal or external use?
- What kind of display do you need (flipbook, slide or scroll)?
Since you’ll want to try out any digital publishing platform you choose for free, here is what Calaméo has to offer on our BASIC plan:
In addition to transforming files into HTML5 publications, you may also want to take advantage of some of the great features online platforms can provide. But remember, the specific features that will matter most depend on your objectives. For example:
- Do you plan to embed publications on your own website or blog?
- Will you need to include interactive links in your publications?
- Is customizing the viewer with your own branding important to you?
- Do you want readers to be able to download your publications?
- What kinds of viewership statistics do you need?
In many cases, digital publishing platforms will ask you to sign up for a paid plan to access advanced features. Here’s what you can expect from Calaméo:
3. Audience access
Another major factor to evaluate when you choose a digital publishing platform is content access.
- How many times can you share your publication?
- Can you configure protected subscriber access for your publications?
- Are multiple user profiles available for your account to make teamwork easy?
4. Other aspects
Although publishing basics and features are essential, it’s worth keeping a few other aspects of working with the platform in mind. For instance:
- Is the site available in your language?
- Can you get fast, helpful support when you need it?
- What kind of flexibility does the platform offer via API access?
Calaméo proposes the following:
Last but not least, look at the pricing of different plans as you choose a digital publishing platform. In some cases, the free Basic plan may have everything you need to get started. However, the cost of paid plans can vary quite a bit—from as low as $14 per month with a PREMIUM account on Calaméo up to $269 per month on other platforms.
Below, you’ll find a chart comparing the monthly cost before taxes of Calaméo’s annual plans. (In other words, you’ll pay the total yearly amount at checkout to benefit from these prices.) Please note that all prices are listed in USD.
If Calaméo seems to match your needs, why not try out the advanced features of our professional PLATINUM plan? During your PLATINUM Demo, you’ll enjoy direct downloads, full viewership statistics and much more. Request your free trial today and experience exceptional digital publishing on Calaméo.